HELWEI engages the communities through four key campaigns:
- Kirk Dirt, Hug Life: SANITATION & HYGIENE –WASH
- Save A Woman, Save Generation: MNCH
- Bold Faces: Nutrition & You: NUTRITION AND LIFESTYLES
- Empowerment & Skill Acquisition: ECONOMIC EMPOWERMENT & LIFE SKILLS
KICK DIRT, HUG LIFE CAMPAIGN:
Sanitation & Hygiene –Wash
As an organization, we have observed a vacuum on personal hygiene in the course of our interactions with school-age children and adults in different communities. This hinged on lack of awareness and active participation on personal hygiene and nutrition for a sustainable healthy life.
In response to this gap, HELWEI designed the Kick Dirt, Hug Life campaign to sensitize and promote best hygiene and sanitation practices among children, women and communities with effective engagement of all stakeholders.
Save a Woman, Save a Generation (MNCH)
Nigeria is among the 191 United Nations member states with the commitment to realize the SDG of reduction of child mortality and improve maternal health by 2030. Though there are efforts towards improving the health outcomes, it is evident that the mortality ratio of Nigerian women and children remains high with average maternal mortality ratio of 545 per 1000 live births. Also, we have children under five mortality ratios of 127 per 1000 live birth. These ratios are among the highest in the world (NDHS2013).
Moreover, women participation in issues affecting their health is also very low, hence the need to empower them.
The campaign is designed to do the following:
- To educate pregnant women on the need for adequate antenatal care and increase their awareness of the risks associated with pregnancies including the need to have delivery with skilled medical attendants.
- To give nutrition advice and education on healthy eating for mother and child.
- To advise on the importance of immunization uptake during pregnancy and after delivery.
- Family Planning as a strategy to improving maternal and child health
- To equip young girls with knowledge essential for growing up with attendant expectations and challenges.